chicken! Newspaper is super excited to announce it is patron of a delightful and hilarious upcoming children’s poetry book titled ‘Just Where You Left It… and Other Poems’ written by publishing legend, David Roche.
Published by Unbound, the book is now 101% funded with over 160 pledges made and took only 10 weeks to hit the target! Although fully funded, pledges and pre-orders starting from just £10 can still be made for David’s book and any new supporters will see their personal name displayed in the back of the book, as well as know that 20% of any proceeds will be generously donated by David to the writing agency New Writing North, a charity which helps to develop reading and writers across the North of England.
So who is David Roche?
- Non-exec Chairman of the London Book Fair, Chairman of New Writing North and Chairman of the Advisory Board of BookBrunch.
- He runs his own consultancy, David Roche Enterprises Ltd, working with publishers, booksellers, entertainment retailers, financial institutions, and also media and marketing/promotions companies looking to work within the publishing industry. He has also acted as the literary agent/business manager for a select few authors.
- Previously David was in retail as CEO of Borders & Books etc. and Product Director of both Waterstones and HMV, as well as in publishing as Group Sales and Marketing Director of HarperCollins. David also chaired the Booksellers Association/Publishers Association Liaison and was President of the Booksellers Association.
- He has a love for travelling, scuba diving, cooking, wine, rugby, cricket and reading as well as being the proud owner of a Triumph motorbike.
- His wife Johanna is from Finland, and they have 3 sons, Daniel aged 28, Max aged 25 and Ben aged 21 so David is a very experienced dad, and knows exactly what they are up to and capable of!
- He and his wife spend every August in their summer cabin in Finland (with simple facilities like a sauna for washing and an outside loo!) and this is where David does his writing.
And what is ‘Just Where You Left It… and Other Poems’?
- David’s debut book of humorous poetry is designed to help the whole family start enjoying poetry again. It was born out of the ‘watch-watching’ endured when David’s children had to parrot ‘mighty and erudite’ works, like those of WH Auden and Andrew Marvell, that ‘bored the pants off all the parents’ at school recitals.
- Hoping to put the fun back into the form, David’s collection of poems will cover everything from exams, school meals, bullying and sports days to embarrassing Dads and ‘nagging and know-all’ Mums’
- Currently locked away in a log cabin on a lake in the middle of Finland, David is finishing the last half of his poems for the book so they are relevant and up-to-date for the kids of today (the first half of poems were created between 15 and 10 years ago)
- David is working with illustrator, Dave Cornmell, to include his brilliant cartoons that will bring his children’s poetry book to life.
The author of ‘Just Where You Left It… and Other Poems’, David Roche says:
“I am so thrilled that chicken! Newspaper has agreed to come on board as Patron for my book. I am a huge fan of the newspaper and its founder Ken Wilson-Max. It is put together with love and expertise and it brings a breadth of really interesting and extremely important subjects to its audience. I think chicken! and my poetry book share the same aim, and that is to write about ideas and topics that kids want to read about and that are relevant to them. Reading should be both engaging and fun, and what you are reading and enjoying, and why, should be a routine topic of conversation. I am really looking forward to getting more closely involved with chicken! and doing what I can to help widen the newspaper’s reach.”
Please do take a look at David’s highly amusing excerpts from ‘Just Where You Left It… and Other Poems’ or to reserve your copy of the hardback – click here. If you are looking for poems that both you and your parents will enjoy, then this is the book for you!
chicken! Newspaper is passionate about the written word in all types of forms, (including poetry), the importance on how the written word can intrigue, engage and influence children and is truly delighted to be patron of such an inspirational and exciting children’s poetry book. We’re looking forward to reading the full collection of David’s poems as well as working with him on this exciting new partnership in the future.
Keep your eyes peeled for the next issue of chicken! Newspaper with the inclusion of an exclusive children’s poem by David!
For more information or to contact David Roche, please email email@example.com